Sports, more precisely the physical activity, is an essential factor for a healthy lifestyle. Combining physical activity, having good eating habits, not consuming tobacco and other malignant substances, contributes to the proper functioning of the body and optimizes its sports performance.
Scientific evidence and the very testimony of those who are sports active, justify that regular sporting brings physical, mental and even social advantages for both men and women of any age and physical height and weight.
The Portuguese panorama in the promotion and development of sports habits starts right away in schools. The importance of conveying the values and benefits of sport to young people is real, and therefore positive!
Advantages such as good school performance, nurturing team spirit and encouraging self-esteem are some of the examples that can be drawn from sports at an early age.
However, for those who have never had regular sports habits, it is always a good time to start and the results are immediately felt.
Benefits of sport on the physical spectrum *:
- Reduces the risk of heart disease;
- Helps prevent/reduce hypertension;
- Controls weight and decreases the risk of becoming obese;
- Helps to prevent/reduce osteoporosis;
- Reduces the risk of developing low back pain;
- Helps the growth and maintenance of bones, muscles and joints.
- Promotes psychological well-being, reduces stress, anxiety and depression;
* Data provided by the General Directorate of Health.
And in the mental spectrum:
- Clearer memory and thinking
- Higher self-esteem;
- Prevents and helps fight depression;
- Prevents and helps fight anxiety;
- Prevents or alleviates the onset of burn out and stress symptoms.
- It exalts the spirit of resilience;
- Improves sleep conditions;
If you think you’re more informed about the benefits of sport in your life, start it today!